Tuesday, March 15, 2005

It's bullshit to pay $10 for "On Bullshit"

I was watching The Daily Show last night and the guest was a philosophy professor at Princeton. He wrote a paper on bullshit and its role in society and the degradation that it has on truth and the pursuit of it. I totally agree with his point. Bullshit is running rampant in our society. People talk and make up facts, they have no evidence to back their points up. This is a terrible thing for the truth. Most of us now have a bullshit meter ingrained into us, and this helps us detect it. The harmful thing about this is that people's bullshit, with constant testing, will become more and more powerful. Bullshit will run around and flurish.
I am totally getting off of the topic now. I wanted to talk about having to pay $10 for the book On Bullshit. The thing was originally an essay that was 25 pages long. Let me repeat that fact, it was only 25 pages long. But luckily the publishers goofed with the margins and turned into a whopping 67 pages long and the dimensions of the book are 6.4 x 4.5 inches. This thing is so small. I don't think that I get my money's worth, plus why should I pay for something that I could of got for free three monthes ago? I know that the professor is entitled to have his essays published and recieving money for his works, but I don't think that this dinky package is worth the money I will pay for it. Make it part of an anthology. Is that too hard?
Also when I get the time, I will sit down and read the newest issue of Rolling Stone. The cover article is Hunter S. Thompson and it is a bunch of articles written by most of his close friends. I don't know if I have truly experienced his work, but I was enthralled reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream. It was a great book, I felt as if I was tripping on acid myself. That means that he is a great writer. He can draw his audience into the subject he was writting about. Well I am off to get some homework done. I will leave you with a quote from Hunter S. Thompson.
- "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home