Friday, July 21, 2006

Night Writer

I am not sure what it is about the night that makes me want to write and to think. It could be the lack of activity in the house and the country, but I think it is more importantly the reflection of the occurrences in our day. If it is early in the day, I think that we would write about stuff that would be overly optimistic because of the availability of the potential that the world has. I also think that our dreams influence us more than we think. A dream is something wonderful and cryptic, but usually about things or events of a pleasant nature that occur, allowing us to refresh and refuel our pallet to take on the difficult world. But it is only after a full day, or half in my case, that our optimism and our wall that protects us and our spirit is taken down a little bit, allowing us to properly reflect on our own situations. We then are allowed to draw upon events that took place earlier and be able to gauge them clearly, while it is fresh in our minds. It is the process of self-reflection that is truest in the evening. I think that is why our skeptics, including I, are night owls. We are most alive in the darkness, allowed to see the world how it is in our mind.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deep. Thoughtful. Very Deep. Very Thoughtful.


Miss you!
Adrienne

7/23/2006 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Sorry it took me so long to read this)

I agree though, you know how much of a night owl/insomniac I am... and I think the world is a different place at night.

Less honking, less shuffling around, no agenda, just you and whatever you feel like doing. It's nice. I have definitely done some of my weirdest and most personally insightful writing at night. I think it allows us to reflect on the world in a more realistic sense, but it also allows us to take our time. Writing in the day is fast-paced and interrupted. The night is reserved for intimacy. You make your own agenda (not your date book).

I don't think good writers come out of a schdule:
8 am- Breakfast
9 am- Shower
10 am- Write the greatest novel of all time
1 opm- Lunch

Can you imagine?!

7/30/2006 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home