Sunday, February 05, 2006

Hey have you heard of Capote? No, well then see it!

Although this past month was the worst of the year, I was still pleased by the releases that Sioux City recieved. This is mostly due to the fact that Sioux City is a black hole of culture. In regards to the films that this city has recently recieved are Brokback Mountain, Capote, and Good Night, and Good Luck. These three have probably locked out most of the major categories for the Oscar race this month. All of them fine films and moved me deeply.

Brokeback, although about a homosexual relationship, can be related to various different things. I feel that I could relate to it because of my feelings towards different films. When you live in a college dorm, you are expected to fall in line with a certain amount of affinaty towards stupid comedies that are filled with vile shock humor that is meant to kill the soul. Granted, I will watch a few of them, and enjoy it sometimes too. But when you are forced to watch it repeatedly, it is if my friends are trying to destroy my soul. But when the time arises to discuss an Akira Kurosawa film, they scatter faster than the bugs underneth rock.

The next was Good Night, and Good Luck. Hands down makes me believe what professor Heistad has been saying about Ed Murrow and his reasons for worshipping the man. In a time of political crisis, he stood up to the government and Senator McCarthy in the heat of the "red scare" that grabbed hold of the nation. I am not going to review this film on my blog, for that is saved for the highly praised Collegian Reporter, and I would hate to have my review out before offering a first stab to my humble publisher.

The last one I will talk about is Capote. I was utterly amazed by this film to say the least. There are few movies that have shocked me to my core, but this is one of them. I was thinking about this many hours after I viewed it because it captured the true nature of obsession and desire. Capote researched about a Kansas family murder for 4 years of his life before completion his non-fiction novel. Not only did he make this novel interesting, he shocked the world with it. He made non-fiction just as interesting at fiction.

Although this is not what drove me to love this film so much, it still added to the enjoyment. The thing that shocked my core was the way that Capote obsessed about the killer. "It's as if Perry and I grew up in the same house. And one day he went out the back door and I went out the front." He obsessed about this killer because he found something in him that was similar to himself, he made a monster of society into a human. Not only was this monster made into a human, but one that was just as scared as the rest of us. It is as if there was a thread that separated us from them, the thread is society restraints. Theirs was trimmed through a series of systematic rejection from members of their circle of life that were meant to take care of them and build them up. This obsession or drive to find about what differed him from the killer drove him to devote several years of his life to search for this information that only seemed to be aviable through his relationship with Perry.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I am not as film saavy as you are, therefore I will only say that I am happy you got to see films you really liked. Well, I'm happy for you and a little annoyed because now I want to see the movies and I don't have the time to ge to them. Thanks for selling me on something I can't have... jerk!

I hope you're looking forward to the Oscars coming up, and I hope you get to watch them from the privacy of your dorm room... free from parents and bad reception!

Keep seeing your random movies... your unique love for them keeps me intrigued!

2/09/2006 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home